Local government in South Africa has undergone rapid transition and transformation over the last 20 years. The sector has attained significant achievements and important milestones, as reflected in the increased number of people who now have access to services, many of whom previously had no access to these services. However, more work still needs to be done to address the remaining challenges. A number of programmes are underway to address these challenges, amongst them the regular engagements with the administrative executives of municipalities. SALGA is convening the 11th National Municipal Managers Forum with George Local Municipality from 31 August to 01 September 2017 to continue our efforts to address issues facing local government, and Municipal Managers in particular. This meeting will focus on the following key issues:
- 1. Reflect on the importance of local government in enabling and supporting national and global agenda and priorities;
- 2. Reflect on challenges facing amalgamated and coalition-led municipalities and propose solutions and way forward;
- 3. Reflect on municipal finances and financial governance focusing on municipal audit outcomes of 2015/2016, billing, revenue enhancements and MSCOA implementation;
- 4. Facilitate peer learning through the sharing of good practices and innovations;
- 5. Review of the MM Forum and make improvements.